By Carol B. Blair, BS, DiHom, CNC, Wellness Educator
Homeopathy is a true healing system. It is wonderful not only because it is inexpensive, but also because it is safe and it doesn’t interfere with medications. Homeopathy is often misunderstood because of its many dilutions and some individuals think it only has a placebo effect. If that were true, it wouldn’t provide such great results for babies and animals!
Because homeopathy is based on “like cures like,” match the symptoms to the remedy as best as possible. A children’s dose is typically three pellets, three times a day of the quick dissolving (30X strength) tablets under the tongue.
Here are a few common remedies that you might find helpful for your children:
- Arnica is the most common household homeopathic remedy. This is known as the “accident remedy.” The child falls off the swing and badly bruises his leg, for instance. Arnica 30X will typically reduce the pain and expedite the healing.
- Aconitum is the “fear remedy.” When there is fear, panic (perhaps the first day of school or camp), or if they witnessed a bad accident, Aconitum would be the remedy. One dose of 30X might be all that is needed to get the child back on track. This can also be used for post-traumatic stress.
- Apis is the “bee sting remedy.” When Apis is needed, the typical symptoms are red, itchy, and swollen areas with stinging pains. Apis might even be used for a burn (including sunburn) as the symptoms are similar.
- Belladonna is the “fever remedy.” This often helps those high fevers that come on suddenly at 3:00 AM whether due to an ear infection, flu, or other cause.
- Chamomilla is the “teething and colic remedy.” When the child is irritable, doesn’t know what he wants, can’t go to sleep, Chamomilla might just be the magic remedy. One father said to me, “What did parents do before homeopathic Chamomilla?” I replied, “Unfortunately, we suffered a lot—right along with the kids!”
- Cocculus and Tabacum are the “motion sickness remedies.” Cocculus is most helpful when there is nausea and the child is very sensitive to odors. He may continue to feel bad even after the motion has stopped. Tabacum is the remedy when the child is nauseous and is worse when he watches out the window or looks at any moving object.
Homeopathy is one of my loves because it is so safe and does absolutely remarkable healing when the right remedy is found! We have a great selection of homeopathics at Natur-Tyme as single remedies for under $8.00, and several of these are found in the Hyland’s Kids Kit that we also carry. The kit comes complete with a little booklet to help you find the correct remedy.