By Shannon Morehouse, MA, CHHC
Natur-Tyme Marketing Coordinator
I started gardening just two years ago and fell in love with fresh-picked organic carrots. Because my harvest of carrots this fall was so humungous (hundreds of carrots), I had to become inventive! I developed this recipe, which has been given two thumbs up by my three-year old. It would make a lovely holiday meal side dish! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
- 8 medium carrots, sliced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1/2 cup chopped, peeled Fuji, Braeburn, or Cortland apple
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- Place carrots and water in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil;
reduce heat. Cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add pineapple, apple, cranberries, honey, lemon juice, and salt.
- Cook 3-4 minutes or until carrots are crisp-tender, stirring occasionally.
- Combine coconut oil, flour, and cinnamon; stir into pan.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until sauce is thickened.
- Sprinkle with walnuts before serving.