This delicious high-protein dish uses heart-healthy whole grain brown rice and gluten-free brown rice flour.
Cook Review: This tasty recipe is easy to make.
Makes 6 servings
|2 Tbsp. Organic Extra-Virgin Olive Oil, plus more for greasing|
|1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces|
|1/2 lb. sliced mushrooms|
|2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme, divided|
|2 large carrots, chopped|
|1 stalk celery, thinly sliced|
|1 small Vidalia or sweet onion, chopped|
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
|1/4 cup Organic Brown Rice Flour|
|1 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth|
|1 cup whole milk|
|1 cup cooked brown rice|
|1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese|
|1/4 cup Organic Pine Nuts|
|1/2 tsp. sweet paprika|
|1/2 cup frozen peas|
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Lightly oil a 9-inch pie dish and set aside.
3. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
4. Add chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until no longer pink, 4 to 5 minutes.
5. Add mushrooms, 1 teaspoon of the thyme, carrots, celery, onions, salt and pepper and cook until just tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
6. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
7. Add broth and milk, stir well and bring to a simmer.
8. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer until very thick, about 10 minutes.
9. Meanwhile, combine rice, cheese, pine nuts, paprika, remaining 1 teaspoon thyme, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
10. Stir peas into chicken mixture, then season with salt and pepper and transfer to prepared dish.
11. Distribute rice mixture evenly over the top, then arrange dish on a baking sheet to catch any drips.
12. Bake until bubbly and crust is crisp, about 30 minutes.